I heard a elderly lady say that to her husband this afternoon. It made me sad but it also made me think. Am I too poor to be proud?
I don't consider myself poor. Sure we don't have a lot of money but I am able to buy what we need when we need it, if it is a genuine need and not a want. I don't take handouts but if I were in the position to need a handout to keep my kids fed and a roof over their heads, damn right I would take a handout. But that person would be getting that back and more once I was able to get back on my feet. I would think that being poor (and we were very very poor when I was young) pride is the one thing you have left. I don't know. I know that I will not ask my parents or anyone else for money. I would rather go without for myself until the next payday than to borrow from someone. There is a huge difference though when it comes to the kids. I would beg, borrow, steal, cheat and lie to provide for my kids. They shouldn't have to suffer because of a shitty economy, a bad decision R and I made, or whatever else. But suffering is far fetched. There is a big different between needs and wants. I would do the above to provide for their NEEDS but wants....no. Sorry. K does not understand the difference between need and want...ok maybe she does but it is always "but momma I need it" it generally being a candy bar, chocolate milk, a new toy, or clothes...things she has plenty of. She does not lack for clothes, milk, small treats, and the kids have a room in the house that is a toyroom/ O's bedroom...yeah they don't NEED toys.
But anyway I did not hear the entire conversation between the elderly couple but that one phrase still sticks in my head. Probably will for quite some time. I wish there had been some way I could have helped them...maybe I should have...but we are living on a dime as well. Great...now I made myself feel guilty for not helping them.
Thursday, January 8, 2009
Too poor to be proud?
Posted by Jess at 2:30 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I think that many today are feeling 'poor' when in reality they are not simply because they are always trying to live beyond their means to keep up with certain 'standards'.
We are by no means poor but we struggle alot. But I still remind myself that we have what we need. Sure there are other things I want but my hubby has a job, we have a home, we have food, and we have a car. We are doing good.
Post a Comment