R and I had a long heart to heart today. He is understandably worried that his employer will be shutting the doors for good. He received a call on Monday from his boss and even though his boss is not laid off, they cut his hours down and they are operating on bare bones staff. The machine my hubby runs has not even ran in two weeks. We sat down and strategized. Because he knows I am a planner and a worrier, he figured I already had a plan in place. To his utmost shock...I do not. I am flying by the seat of my pants and hoping for a miracle. I know how much we have in savings and I know how long we could live off that money with keeping the house. What I did not know until I sat down to write out the bills tonight for this month, is that we have an additional month in our household bills account. Hallelujah!
R has been looking at other employment, really looking, but in this area there is no employment. There are retail jobs, a couple banking jobs, housekeeping at the hospital and a few other similar jobs but not jobs that R can do and support the family and for us to pay for daycare so we keep looking and hoping. At this point that is all we can do. I have been looking at a job change for myself as well. Not that I do not love my job, I do, it is just that the hours I need are not there. But I need to stay on with my employer through April in order to receive my bonus. The bonus should be between $300 and $500. That is a lot of money to throw out the window by quitting and working elsewhere now. Besides the project is starting soon and that should give me enough hours to make it worthwhile to stay. They are planning on working weekends and nights to get this project done so I know I will get the hours I want and need. The project will last "several weeks". How long is several weeks? IDK I am guessing 4-6 which would put me into March-ish for going back to only working one day a week. The bonus is estimated to be paid out around the 15th of April so if I can just stick it out that last month or so we will be sitting good. That month could be rough. IDK. I hope it turns out ok. I hate to wait for that bonus and cause financial issues, that is why I am glad we have the extra money put away.
my current plan is to continue to make my "car payment" to the savings account when it is all paid off to give us even more of a cushion. I hope I can keep on that plan because it sure would be nice to be able to put a couple hundred away each month.
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
long talks and strategizing....
Posted by Jess at 8:31 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Considering all you guys have gone through the last several months, it's a wonder that you are doing so well! I think that shows what a good little planner you are, lol. We are starting to get a plan in action for this coming year. We have a stash of money-well a couple-that we are slowly adding too. We'll be getting our return back in week or so and we'll be using that to pay about $3000 in debt so after that we'll be able to put a huge chunk into savings for emergencies.
Post a Comment