CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Rewards of Frugality

In my quest to be frugal, I have been doing many things from scratch. Like making my own bodywash and handsoap. It is rewarding because I am the type of person that loves to see results and because I get K involved. Tonight K and I made a batch of bodywash for her. She loved it. She stood over the pot on the stove and stirred and stirred and kept asking Mom is it done? Mom is it done? She had a blast.

We hang our laundry out to dry in the summer and K enjoys helping with that. I do it not only to save money and because I like the smell, I do it because I enjoy the time with K. We do a lot of "frugal" things together. I hope that by doing this she not only sees the value of hardwork but also what mommy does to save money. I hope that I am instilling life lessons into her. Things that she will carry into adulthood and look back on fondly. I hope the smell of line dried laundry will bring her back to the simpler time, when she and I would take a basket of laundry outside and she would hand me the clothespins, one by one, like it was the most important job in the world. And maybe, just maybe, she will pass that on to her own child someday and think back about the many "gifts" I have given her even without spending a dime on them. I can hope right?

2 comments:

Jenera said...

I think that so many things are being taught. Not only are you showing ways to save money but you are showing that so many things can be done together and you can bond for no money. Memories are being made that I'm sure will stick with her forever.

OneHappyFamily said...

I love this post and what you are doing with her. Keep up the good work mommy!