CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, October 24, 2009

tag along

Tonight I tagged along as a friend went grocery shopping.  I had nothing better to do.  Hubby was home with the kids and I hadn't seen this particular friend in awhile. 

I realized, as I watched my friend shop, that my method of shopping is so much different than the average shopper.  I check prices (which my friend did), I also know how much the usual price of X item is at 6...yes 6..stores that I frequent.  I know where the best price is on X item at any given time.  I know that if X is on sale at this store that it is still cheaper at Aldi so it is not a good deal for the sale price.  I know that Y item is on rollback at Walmart and is cheaper than Aldi.  Aye!  How do I keep all this random (and not so random) information in my head.  As my friend was shopping, I think I might have annoyed her a bit, because I was telling her oh wait that is too expensive...if you can wait you can get that here next week for this price.  After a couple items I realized I was being annoying and I shut up and started doing some comparison shopping for myself as this was not a store I ever shop at.   I found that Aldi is generally cheaper on my basics than this store was but I also found a few things they were priced better on than Walmart and Aldi.  This store is very near to Walmart and Aldi so I will keep that in mind.  Her total came to around $100 and I balked...to myself.  I cannot remember the last time I dropped $100 at a grocery store, even Aldi.  I spend roughly $200 a month to feed all 4 of us and this was $100 for about a week for my friend and her roommate.  Yikes.  My friend knows how I shopped and she teased me a bit when we left, saying...did you have a heart attack when you saw the total?  ummm yeah I did.  She laughed.  To be quite honest and fair though, my friend does not have the time nor patience to chase the deals and shop like I do but she does do her best to save money.

When we got back to my friend's house, I started helping her put away her purchases.  I found myself reorganizing and rotating her freezer, fridge and pantry as I put stuff away.  LOL this is what I do when I come home from a shopping trip and it is funny to me (and my friend) that I do this automatically.  She didn't mind and I apologized for it.  She laughed and was pleased when she looked in her pantry after I was done. 

2 comments:

Jenera said...

I kind of shop like you do. I know what everything costs at the few places I do shop. I look at ads. I don't use coupons much because our stores don't accept online ones and our papers suck as far as coupons.

Jess said...

I actually haven't been using much for coupons lately either. I haven't bought a paper in months. The coupons I have been getting I have been buying from a clipping service. The coupons in our papers lately have been less than stellar and not for anything I really need so when there is a couple coupons that I need, the clipping service is better. I can get multiples of the coupons I do need that way. Last couple of weeks it has only been tidy cats cat litter. LOL. I did find some coke coupons on a shelf in the store so I grabbed them up and used them yesterday and I got a bonus Mountain Dew cube over the summer that had 3 peelie coupons on it so I used one and saved the other 2 and used them yesterday to get soda for hubby but otherwise that has been about it for coupon usage lately.