CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 22, 2009

2 rainy days=2 thrifty days

It has rained here for the last two days...better than snow but still.

On Wednesday the girls and I checked out a newer local thrift store.  It was big and nicely laid out but rather junky and the clothes prices were pretty high.  $4 for a pair of jeans for K that had worn knees and a paint smear on the butt.  uh huh...right!  We did end up getting a pair of Hannah Montana pants for her that had a little bit of wear and a bit of a stain on the back they were marked $3..which I would not have paid for them...but they were tagged with the 1/2 off color of the day so they were $1.50.  Ok  That I will pay...and I got the stain out.  If it had been any worse of a stain I would not have bought them.  We ended up visiting 5 thrift stores on Wednesday.  We found a vintage metal jack in the box, like new for $2, a couple Barbies, a brand new with tag bread pan for $2, and joy of joys...shoes for the girls...one pair for each!!!  K's has butterflies on them and O's are Bratz.  $1.50 a pair and in pretty good shape too.  Thrilled!

Today we didn't visit any thrift stores but we made a bent and dent run.  We got a few of the usuals and they had Strawberry Breeze Welch's juice for 75 cents a container.  It is the frozen concentrate.  I made some tonight and that is really good juice!  We ended up spending $20 total but $6 of that was on diapers for O.  Dang kid just doesn't want to potty train yet.  Soon hopefully.

When we came back to town we stopped at our local store for my one needed grocery item this week...some canned fruit.  They had just restocked their bent and dent reduced cart and the manager saw me come in and told me that they had.  So we went to that cart after grabbing a few cans of fruit.  There was a lot of stuff in there.  Close to date applesauce...which we will use up before date.  The kids LOVE applesauce.  Some dented cans of fruit...tops were still good so SCORE!  and a few dented cans of veggies.  I picked through and got out what we needed and checked out.  Spent a whooping $10 and got 10 cans of fruit, 2 cans of veggies, 3 containers of yogurt (also reduced for quick sale (expires Saturday but no biggie...they are already gone.  LOL we each had one with lunch), 7 containers of applesauce (I gave 3 to the sitter), and 1 can of spaghettios...a very rare item in this house. 

we had the spaghettios, grilled cheeses, and yogurt for lunch.  I made a crunchy baked apple dessert for a snack and used about 1/2 of one of the jars of applesauce.  The kids had part of a can of pears with dinner.  In the winter months we go through canned fruit like crazy.  Fresh fruit is so pricey during these months that we limit what we get to what is on sale and bananas.  We have bananas quite frequently but the other fruit is so pricey that we only buy when it is on sale and only what we will eat right away.  But I want the kids to have fruit so I stock up on the canned and they get that for snacks or with a meal.  

0 comments: