I tried the sweet onion sauce recently at Subway. I know, I know...it has been out pretty much forever but I just recently tried it and LOVED it. In fact I loved it so much I have been having cravings for it. The nice part is that a $5 foot long feeds both kids and I. The bad part is that $5 is $5...especially when I am really only craving the sauce. LOL
I looked up a recipe hack for it and found one that I liked. I read the reviews and did a few substitutions and eliminations and came up with what I think it is a pretty dang good copy.
My version:
Sweet Onion Sauce similar to Subway's
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 tbsp minced vidalia onion (recipe called for 1 tbsp but I used more like 2-3 because we LOVE onions. The original recipe also called for white onion but I prefer vidalias)
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tsp white distilled vinegar
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp honey (original recipe called for 1 tsp brown sugar and no honey but I made it this way instead)
1/4 tsp lemon juice
1 pinch cracked black pepper ( I used 3-4 pinches)
1 pinch garlic powder (I used 1 tsp minced garlic...made sure alot of that was juice)
combine all ingredients and bring to a boil. Let cool and put in a squueze bottle. easy peasy and soo yummy. Very much like subways!
The original version called for buttermix powder and $4 for a tub of it was too much for me when I really have no other uses for it at this time. I omitted it and you don't notice as far as I can tell. It also called for 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon poppy seed. I left the poppy seed out intentionally and I left out the salt unintentionally and it worked out fine.
~Jess~
Sunday, March 28, 2010
sweet onion sauce...like Subway's!
Posted by Jess at 8:54 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment