CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

decluttering project is in full swing this morning

Today is the 2nd day of March and I am already well past where I need to be to reach my goal.  I have accomplished 3 of the things I set out to this morning.  I said last night that I wanted to clean off the computer desk.  I started that yesterday and finished up this morning.  The computer desk becomes a catchall and I HATE that.  I cleaned the high spots in the kitchen.  This is the top of the fridge and the top of the cabinets.  The biggest project of the day was just completed and that one is probably the worst.  Our bathroom is tiny with no storage but outside our bathroom and 3 4 ft deep drawer/shelf things.  They are hard to explain but basically they are built into the wall just outside our bathroom and go 4 feet into the wall.  They have doors on them and we use them for bathroom storage. 

The top drawer is R's in front and storage in back.  We keep heating pads, ace bandages, the hair clippers and stuff that we don't need to access often in the back.  R's deodorant, cologne, prescriptions, etc are in front. 

The middle drawer is mine.  I keep my feminine supplies in back and my deodorant, the kids bath stuff, and an extra shampoo, conditioner and bodywash in front.  We also have a box with things like Q-tips, lotions, etc in there.  That is where the mess is.  That becomes a catchall for bathroom stuff.

The lowest drawer is towels and washclothes. 

Reorganizing and cleaning R's shelf is done about twice a year.  It is too high to just shove stuff in so it tends to not get unorganized.  My shelf needs to be cleaned every couple of months or it gets out of control.  I got rid of a bunch of things from my shelf. 

Next up is the upstairs armoire in K's room. K doesn't have any clothes that need to be hung up currently so we use the armoire to store bedding.  I need to go through the bedding.  That should be a quick project and then hopefully next Monday I can tackle the hallway storage closet upstairs.  My least favorite project. 

The upstairs hallway closet is storage and we have 2 totes of clothes in it as well as some other items.  I know there is not much in the storage closet that can really go because I cleaned it out in the fall and got rid of a lot of stuff.  I just don't like to do it because I have to pull EVERYTHING out.  UGH!

My other big project for Monday is to go through the kids toys.  They have too much and they don't even play with a lot of it.  I have been trying to go through the kids toys every 3-4 months and weeding out things that they no longer play with.  While I do keep some of their better outgrown clothes to garage sale, I do not do that with toys.  They get donated unless it is a big item that I can sell for $10 or more.  I found that selling toys was a waste because the kids tend to find them again before the garage sale and take them out, so I just get rid of them when I weed them out. 

I also hope to paint the hallway on Monday.  We decided on a darker color for the hallway.  We just don't know what color yet.  R is thinking a darker brown but I was thinking of a dark purple.  I think the darker brown would look nice but the color he is thinking of would show more and would match the trim which I do not like while the darker purple would not and I plan to repaint the trim in a light lilac color.  IDK.  We are picking out the paint on Sunday.  We plan on living here for a long time yet so I am not worried about our color choice pleasing a potential buyer, just want it to not show kid coloring and look nice.  


~Jess~

1 comments:

Laurel Merz said...

DUDE you are a hard core lady!!