CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, March 6, 2010

cabinets are here and stained

Today was such a mess from the start.  I got up a little late (which was not a big deal because I had plentry of time to still meet the girl to donate dresses. I don't know if I mentioned that already or not but I will talk about that later if I didn't).  The kids and I got home and tried to wake R up to watch the kids so I could go get the cabinets.  He would not wake up, he had a rough week so I can forgive him now but this morning I was fuming.  He made up for it later though by cleaning the house thoroughly, doing dishes, and making dinner.  Then my brother called and his GF was not feeling well so it was me, my brother, and 3 kids going to Menards.  Yikes!  We managed to get through the store without incident but we did forget some things.  It was bound to happen though.

We loaded up the cabinets and while doing so K managed to lock herself and her sister in the truck I borrowed from my dad.  She hit the button to lock the doors and couldn't figure out how to unlock it. Luckily I had left the window down enough that my brother was able to get a crowbar in the window and push the unlock button. 

We started to head home and I realized we were missing part of our order.  I called and the lady fortunately remember me and the order and realized they did forget to get 2 pieces for me so I have to go back and get them tommorrow.  UGH!  We got home without incident.

We unloaded the cabinets and I managed to hit my knee and smash my finger.  Sheesh!  I ate some lunch and then stained the cabinets.  That went very well...until I went to clean up and realized we had no paint thinner.  Luckily we have a handy neighbor that had some on hand.  I was able to borrow some thankfully.

Anyway...here are the pics of the stained cabinets and the countertop I selected.  They are taking with my phone and in my dimly lit garage so they are not great quality but I think for it being my first time staining anything I did pretty well.  We have to make the top for the center island but it ended up being cheaper that way so I won't complain about that.  Also the cabinets were cheaper than I originally stated so that was nice as well.  These are not all the cabinets.  Just pics of 3 of them.







~Jess~

My original pricing at Menards               what the cabinets actual cost today
base cabinet (we need 2) $94.99 each    $89.99 each
sink base $85.49                                    $80.99
wall cabinet $77.99                                $74.69
wall cabinet $64.99                                $62.99
counter top $57.50                                $57.00
total $475.95                                        $455.65

When it is all done I will post the total including stain, knobs, and a few more things we need.  So far we are under budget by just over $200.  The stuff I need to pick up tommorrow should not cost more than $50 and I need to return a $10 can of stain so that should help a bit.  I bought 2 just to be on the safe side but it appears that I will not need that 2nd can.  I have 5 end pieces to stain yet and will have plenty of stain for that.

0 comments: