CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

good news today

My new boss at work is an old neighbor. She was about 4 years ahead of me in school but her brother was in my class. We know each other pretty well. We were talking today about scheduling because there is an issue with my old job and my new job. I won't get into the issue but I told my new boss that I really only want to work part-time. We can afford for me to only work part-time and that is what I would prefer to do. It will take a little longer to pay off my car I realize but the time spent with my kids is more important than the time I spend at work, making money to pay off my car. I only get to keep about 1/2 of my net pay anyway. After I pay the sitter I get just slightly over 1/2 of my net pay each week. I would gladly give up getting my car paid off two months early just to spend more time with my kids. I explained to this boss (since she knows my family, I feel more comfortable sharing family stuff with her than I would with any other boss) and I also explained that I do not NEED to work other than to pay off my car. I explained how our bills work and how we budget. She has 2 children of her own and completely understands my desire to be home with them but needing to work. She has no problem at all with me lessening my availability to just 3 days a week, in fact it was her idea. I am so happy that I have an understanding boss. For the time being I am going to be available 5 days, then as of the week of 6/15 I am taking vacation. When I come back, I am changing my availability to 4 days and then as off 7/1 I will be available only 3 days a week for awhile. I am not sure if I will make this permanent or not. It would be a nice balance of at home and at work time so we will see how it works out. My desire has been to be home with the kids but still have time away, among adults. Working part-time just might be the answer to that. I need to be available to work on Fridays and Monday so I think I will make the other day I work Tuesdays. 2 days off in the middle of the week sounds nice to me!

2 comments:

Mary~Momathon said...

That's great! You are so lucky that you are in good enough financial shape that you can choose your level of employment. Kudos to you for putting yourself in that position during a recession!

Jess said...

Thanks Mary. I feel very lucky.