CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, December 25, 2008

2008 Reflections

2008 was a good year for us. We had some hard times, who didn't though, and we had some good times.

In 2008 I was hired on year round at my Seasonal employer, my husband was laid off more than once, we paid off a vehicle, we paid off our credit cards, I got a chance to be a SAHM for awhile, I learned couponing, I learned a lot about saving money. We realized that we took a paycut of over 50% from previous years but we would be ok. We found ways to survive that we did not even know existed. We made sacrifices and we worried but everything turned out ok. 2008 brought us a lot of changes, good and bad, but we grew stronger as a couple and a family, IMO.

One of my favorite memories of 2008 was our family hike and ferry ride.









One of the scariest times of 2008 was being seperated with my older daughter from my hubby and baby by flooding and the closure of the main bridge, our only route home. Taking his vehicle left him here with no vehicle he was able to drive to get out and no way for me to get home. After a brief moment of panic, I got my head together and K and I set off. 2 hours, lots of backtracking and trying alternate routes and we were finally able to get home to them. It was scary. I am happy that I was able to get calmed down enough to get home. We evacuated that night and it was very scary not knowing if we would even have a home to come back to but we did and I am grateful for that!

Here is a look at our June Flooding...pictures are worth more than what I can write. The pictures don't show the emotions involved seeing the town I have called home for years pretty much destroyed but we survived.










In 2008, we did a few home projects ourselves. Hubby and my brother reinsulated our attic which is saving us money in heating costs. We also sealed a bunch of cracks in our foundation ourselves. Hopefully that will help during the spring thaw and keep water from getting into our basement again.

2008 brought us extreme weather. From over 100 inches of snow to the threat of Tornados and tornados just missing us, massive flooding, and very hot for this area conditions.

In 2008 we started our first garden, we adopted Sheena, I rediscovered my love of garage saling, I was able to provide a nice christmas for the kids and my family on a small budget.
all in all I have to say 2008 was a pretty good year!

0 comments: