CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, April 12, 2010

back on the wagon

With the kitchen remodel and R's OT we got a little stupid and got a little bit off the thrifty wagon.  It turned out to not be as bad as I had thought however.  I sat down last Friday and balanced the checkbooks and it turned out that we only went over budget by what R's overtime amount was so in all actuality, we did not go over budget.  This week we are somewhat back on track though.  I say somewhat because there were some things I bought today that we didn't have the cash for but needed so it came from savings but will get put back when R gets paid on Friday.  Next week will have to be a very low OOP week for us grocery wise. 
***
I have been a SAHM for almost 2 months and we are still adjusting to a new routine.  I am trying hard to get the kids on a somewhat regular routine...grocery shopping this day, fun day this day, laundry day this day, etc etc etc.  It has been somewhat difficult because we have had rainy days and colder days which screw up the routine.  So I am still trying.
****
Saturday O and I went to Aldi.  I got a couple boxes of frozen waffles because the kids like waffles and pancakes just about every morning for breakfast and honestly I get so sick of making them EVERY.SINGLE.MORNING.  I decided on the way home that I would just buy a dang wafflemaker and make a huge batch of waffles, freeze them and then just pop them in the toaster when the kids want them.  I looked and the 2 thrift stores in town today for a wafflemaker but they didn't have any.  Then, silly me, I remember that oh so many years ago (I think I was 19 at the time but it could have possible been when I was still in highschool....whenever the Grinch was last really really popular and they had a ton of Grinch related items on the market at Christmas time), my parents gave me a Grinch wafflemaker for Christmas.  I still have it.  It has been sitting on a shelf in my kitchen for many years.  I just can't bring myself to part with it even though it rarely gets used.  Well I pulled the ol' Grinch out of the cupboard today and used it.  I intend on making some giant batches of Grinch waffles and freezing them so I actually should only have to make waffles once every week or two.  HA!  It works out to about 6 cents per waffle using Aldi pancake and waffle mix, water and a little bit of oil VS. almost 12 cents per waffle to buy the already made ones.  Yeah, with the time involved it probably works out the same but I have the time so it is not a big deal and the kids LOVE the "crazy waffles".


cute huh?


inside...Crazy waffles as K calls them.



finished waffle




~Jess~

0 comments: